Seeing is Believing
‘Seeing is Believing’ is part of the PNZ Strengthen and Adapt Plan, and is a two-part project aiming to change perceptions of disability through the lens of Paralympians, Para athletes and the Paralympic Movement. It combines Para sport learning and lived experiences to inspire both participation and inclusion in school environments.
What will be delivered?
The I’mPOSSIBLE and Harvey Norman Para Sport Champions initiatives will connect with both disabled and non-disabled tamariki, their teachers and kaiako, schools by opening minds and challenging perceptions, behaviours and choices.
- The Education Lead will develop the Harvey Norman Para Sport Champions initiative to be piloted alongside I’mPOSSIBLE initiative in up to 20 schools in New Zealand. This will involve working with NSOs/NDSOs in the first instance to identify, recruit, and train Champions at different levels of the Para sport pathway.
- Timing of the pilot and launch of the finalised I’mPOSSIBLE resource will be cognisant of school terms, teacher and Kaiako workloads. It is important that the resource is seen as a useful part of the curriculum, that is engaging and interesting to tamariki and that it supports teacher teaching outcomes without being an added burden.
Work collaboratively with:
- Sport NZ Education Team including Healthy Active Learning Team to support identification of pilot schools.
- Regional Parafed organisations and the Halberg Foundation to achieve shared goals of creating inclusive environments and increased activity opportunities.
What has been achieved?
- 20 pilot schools across 4 regions in New Zealand will commence the pilot in October 2022
- 4 Parafeds and the Halberg Foundation engaged in collaboration