Para Sport Pop Up
This innovative initiative was launched in Auckland in 2019 to mark 1 year to go until the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games and proved a great success in taking Para sport experiences to the country.
The Para Sport Pop Up travelled around New Zealand in the lead up to the Tokyo 2020 Paralympics, telling the story of New Zealand’s 50-year Paralympic history, increasing awareness of Para sport and positively influencing community perceptions of disabled people.
A custom-built container provided a great environment for educating Kiwis about Paralympic history and Para sport. Different ‘have a go’ Para sport activities were available with the Pop Up, including:
- Vertical jump test challenge: try and jump as high as a Paralympian
- Handcycle challenge
- Give Wheelchair basketball a go
- Blind football Virtual Reality experience
- Play a Boccia game
- Learn more about Para sport
- Meet with Paralympians, Para athletes or local Para sport stakeholders
- The chance to leave messages of support for the NZ Paralympic Team
Many school groups, families and interested locals visited, had a go and went on their way, knowing so much more about NZ Paralympians and the opportunities available with Para sport.
Read more about the launch of the Para Sport Pop Up here.