Paralympics New Zealand (PNZ) is the National Paralympic Committee (NPC) for New Zealand. PNZ is a Incorporated Society, which allows voting members of the Incorporated Society under its Constitution.
Membership benefits provided by PNZ
Support and leadership for member organisations
- Support to increase NSO capability to include Para sport pathways
- Support to Parafeds to provide quality participation experiences for Para athletes.
- Coach resource and education development to support coaches of Para athletes.
- PNZ leads a collaborative approach with members that will strengthen the Para sport pathway in New Zealand through the implementation of the PNZ Strengthen and Adapt Plan.
- PNZ implements national initiatives that help to establish connections and provides opportunities for PNZ members to support disabled tamariki and their Whānau to participate in Para sport opportunities in their local communities.
- PNZ collaborates and establishes relationships with organisations providing support for Para sport.
- Best practice advice and support to build organisational capability.
- Support for National and Regional funding applications.
- Member representation on relevant PNZ Advisory Groups.
Para sport advocacy and education
- PNZ advocates for Para sport within New Zealand to ensure Para athletes have the opportunity to participate at all levels of sport and are equally recognised for their success.
- PNZ educates New Zealanders, especially tamariki and rangitahi, about Para athletes, Para sport, and the Paralympic Movement within schools, through the I’mPOSSIBLE and Para Sport Champions initiatives.
- PNZ leads, advocates and supports New Zealand media and broadcast coverage of Paralympians, Para sport, and disability to ensure showcasing of positive news and stories. Since the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games, PNZ has worked with broadcast partners TVNZ and Attitude Pictures to bring the Paralympic Games free-to-air to all Kiwis.
- PNZ leads Paralympic Games marketing and commercial campaigns to change the narrative of disability as future generations celebrate the success of Para sport and the power of the Paralympic Movement. Following the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games, new Para athlete registrations were five times higher year on year.
Support for Para athletes, Paralympians and Paralympic Games
- Resourcing and support of New Zealand Paralympic Teams to enhance their ability to succeed and excel at the summer and winter Paralympic Games. To date, the New Zealand Paralympic Team has competed at 26 Paralympic Games and won 236 medals since Tel Aviv 1968.
- Leaders in the delivery of world class Paralympic Games campaigns with logistical excellence and innovation.
- Resourcing and support for Paralympians and Para athletes to other international events including World Championships as part of PNZ managed Para sport programmes.
- PNZ ensures the Para athlete voice is present and heard through the inaugural PNZ Athletes’ Council of 6 Paralympians. The Para athlete voice will contribute to the develop of PNZ and PNZ member management and governance.
- PNZ advocates for Paralympians and Para athletes. In 2018, this resulted in a historic pay equity announcement for Paralympians who place in the top 6 at the Paralympic Games.
- PNZ leads advocacy with High Performance Sport NZ on behalf of all PNZ members, Paralympians and Para athletes.
- Direct funding opportunities to aspiring Para athletes. The PNZ Cyril Smith Legacy Fund and the Young People Para Sport Activation Fund have supported many Para athletes and organisations.
International representation and influence
- PNZ facilitates international Para sport connections.
- PNZ represents PNZ members and New Zealand’s interests at an international level. PNZ Board members, staff, and Paralympians hold many positions of influence on international committees or advisory groups.
Summary of membership benefits to NSOs only
- Support of the PNZ Classification Manager to develop and implement classification code compliant policies and procedures, thereby protecting the integrity of classification.
- Ability to nominate Para athletes for selection to the NZ Paralympic Team to compete at the summer and winter Paralympic Games.
Who can I contact for more information about PNZ membership?
For more information on PNZ membership contact:
PNZ Strategic Engagement Manager, Melissa Dawson at [email protected] or +64204 0044 799.