Liam Malone appointed to Athlete Advisory Group for Para athletics
World Para Athletics have named the seven members of the new Athletes Advisory Group (AAG) for the sport including New Zealand Paralympian Liam Malone.
The group consists of athletes from various classes and countries around the world: Australia’s Carlee Beattie (F46/T47); Canada’s Jason Dunkerley (T11/F11); South Korea’s Gyu Dae Kim (T54); New Zealand’s Liam Malone (T43); Great Britain’s Stephen Miller (F32); Germany’s Marc Schuh (T54); and Ireland’s Jason Smyth (T13/F13).
The group’s aim is to represent the views of current athletes and make their voice heard within World Para Athletics. To achieve this, they will consider issues related to athletes and provide advice to the Sport Technical Committee (STC) and World Para Athletics Management Team.
“It’s another great step forward in the empowerment of our athletes within the Para sports movement.”
Their key responsibilities include:
– Establishing a means of seeking athletes’ opinion on issues of major importance in Para athletics through as wide a network of enquiry as possible
– Keeping the World Para Athletics Management Team regularly informed of athlete opinion on issues of major importance.
– Reporting to the World Para Athletics Management Team on organisational issues that may arise in connection with athlete participation at the different competitions organised under the World Para Athletics umbrella.
– Providing opinions on specific issues of athlete interest.
– Promoting a “healthy image“ and “fairplay“.
– Liasing and consulting with other Committees and AAG, where appropriate.
– Promoting and fostering the worldwide development of Para athletics.
– Attending or hosting athletes’ meetings at major sport competitions.
The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) Athletes’ Council has welcomed the announcement of the group. Kurt Fearnley said: “It’s another great step forward in the empowerment of our athletes within the Para sports movement. The AAG will provide a stronger platform for athletes to shape the direction of Para athletics into the future.”
World Para Athletics will appoint the Lead of the Athlete Advisory Group soon, who will then represent AAG during STC meetings.
Athlete Advisory Group
Canada – Jason Dunkerley
Great Britain – Stephen Miller
Germany – Marc Schuh
Ireland – Jason Smyth
Australia – Carlee Beattie
South Korea – Gyu Dae Kim
New Zealand – Liam Malone